Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tofu ... Not Quite

So I made this light snack yesterday night to suppress cravings that I was having for sweets! Almond Tofu!

Tofu? Yes, Chinese people refer to this treat as "dou fu fa," literally translated as "tofu flower." It was called as such simply because the real deal is made with soft tofu. Don't ask me about the flower part, I honestly have no idea! I don't suggest ever translating Chinese terms/phrases word for word, because it almost never makes any sense!

So, dou fu fa is a popular Asian dessert that may be found nowadays at dim sum restaurants, Asian supermarkets, or even sold by street vendors. You may find them as packaged powder mixtures that come in various flavors and can be easily made just by mixing it in boiling water, adding milk, and refrigerating it for a few hours. You may also find them freshly made by street vendors, normally eaten with a sugary syrup. If you're curious how a sugary, milky, flavored jello tastes like, go with the packaged version. On the other hand, if you admire food in its most natural state, try the freshly made ones ... they are so soft each spoonful just slips down your throat!

Now, back to my version. I didn't have the time nor know how to make dou fu fa out of real tofu, so I took a little shortcut! I mixed gelatin powder with milk, boiling water, Splenda and some almond extract ... definitely a healthier and lower-calorie alternative to the packaged versions!

It's not quite tofu, but if you like tofu, you'd like this! Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment