Monday, November 5, 2012

Little Acts of Kindness

Little things can do BIG.  Little acts of kindness can go a long way.

I am always striving to be a better person, attempting to help people however I can, whenever I can and improving myself by learning from yesterday's mistakes.  It makes me proud to perform an act of kindness just to put a smile on someone's face because it puts a bigger smile on my own. 

To start off, I got really, really lost today in lower Manhattan.  Once the numbered streets and avenues disappear, I have no clue where I am going.  Even with Google Maps on my iPhone, I was unable to find my way, so I decided to ask for directions.  The first person I stopped didn't know where my destination was, so he continued to walk off.  The second man stopped to help me, even pulling up a map on his phone to locate which direction I should go.  He was probably heading to work, with only 5 minutes to 9am.  I was deeply touched, by a stranger.  Little act of kindness goes a very long way...

On my way back home, there were several passengers using the same mode of transportation that I have decided to use, a van operated by Chinese people.  There was an old lady who was screaming out her stop to the driver, but because she was of Toisanese descent and others were of Fujianese descent, nobody understood her and decided to ignore her.  I had trouble understanding her also, but tried to assist her in Cantonese, and ensured that the driver would bring her back home.  It made me happy to help the cute little old lady, and it amazes me how others can sit there and pretend they don't hear anything.

*Pats myself in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment